Ingredients (for 6 people)
- 100 ml of extra virgin olive oil
- 450g of salted cod crumbled
- 1 onion
- 150g of carrot
- 200g of vegetables for paella (flat green beans and “garrafó”)
- 150g of cauliflower
- A bunch of spinach
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 600g of “bomba” rice
- 1 cup of white wine (not sweet)
- Approximately 2L of fish broth*
Fish broth preparation
Dins una olla posam 50 g d’OVE i preparam un sofregit començant per dos alls, 1 ceba tallada a daus, 4 tomàtigues de ramellet ratllades, 3 cs de julivert tallat, un porro tallat a rodanxes, 1 c s de pebre vermell tap de cortir, 2 l d’aigua, 1/4 de peix de roca o morralla, 1/4 de gerret, 1/2 cap de rap 1 cranc (si n’hi ha), molt poca sal o gens.
In a pot add 50g of extra virgin olive oil and prepare a sauté starting with two garlic cloves, one diced onion, four “ramellet” tomatoes, three tablespoons of chopped parsley, one sliced leek, one teaspoon of red pepper flakes, two liters of water, one-quarter of rockfish or scraps, one-quarter of whiting fish, half a head of monkfish and one crab (if available), very little salt or none .
Cod with rice preparation
1. Early in the morning, wash the cod and put it in hot water for 10 minutes. Remove it from the water and wash it again. Leave it in normal water throughout the morning. If you want to change the water several times more .
2. In a pot add oil and once hot sauté in this order: The cod (pressed and without any water), the onion diced very small. The carrot sliced into rounds, the mixture of beans, cauliflower in not very large florets and the spinach washed and the leaves cut into julienne.
3. When it is well sautéed add the rice and toast it a little. Add cumin and a cup of white wine (not sweet). Once it has evaporated add the fish broth that we have previously strained and that we will have boiling (two measures of broth for one of rice).
4. Mix well and taste for saltiness. Adjust if necessary. Cook over high heat for about 15 minutes (check if it needs more broth and adjust). Cover with a kitchen towel and let it rest for 5 minutes. It is now ready to serve.
5. We recommend preparing an aioli or mayonnaise with a little garlic to accompany this excellent dish.
Recipes are like flight instructions, they take us from food and ingredients to wonderful dishes. And thanks to the good hand in the kitchen of María Verger, we can offer you a special selection of recipes.